Skip to Main Content
The first ITS phylogeny of the genus Cantharocybe (Agaricales, Hygrophoraceae) with a new record of C. virosa from BangladeshAuthor(s): Md. Iqbal Hosen; Tai-Hui Li; D. Jean Lodge; Alan Rockefeller
Source: MycoKeys. 14: 37-50.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionThis is the first internal transcribed spacer (ITS) phylogeny of the enigmatic genus Cantharocybe and includes ITS sequences from two out of the three holotype collections. Two species are reported from the Americas and only a single species from Asia. Additionally, a collection of Cantharocybe virosa collected from tropical Bangladesh was included in this study. This species is a new record for Bangladesh, and is characterized by its tawny gray or grayish brown pileus and stipe surface, smooth ellipsoid basidiospores, elongated necked lecythiform cystidia, a trichoderm pileipellis, and abundant clamp connections. Molecular phylogenetic analysis using ITS, and combined analyses of ITS with the large subunit of nuclear ribosomal RNA (nrLSU) showed that the collection from Bangladesh is conspecific with the Indian C. virosa. A large, previously unknown intron was found in the ITS of C. brunneovelutina and C. virosa, while the C. gruberi sequence was found to be truncated where the intron would have been inserted. The intron was not identical between Cantharocybe species, and may be phylogenetically informative. Morphological description, color photographs and line drawings are provided for Bangladesh collection C. virosa. A key to the genus Cantharocybe is provided.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHosen, Md. Iqbal; Li, Tai-Hui; Lodge, Deborah Jean; Rockefeller, Alan. 2016. The first ITS phylogeny of the genus Cantharocybe (Agaricales, Hygrophoraceae) with a new record of C. virosa from Bangladesh. MycoKeys. 14: 37-50.
KeywordsBiogeographic distribution, tropical mushroom, molecular phylogeny, taxonomy
- Completion of the chloroplast genomes of five Chinese Juglans and their contribution to chloroplast phylogeny
- Phylogeny of Castanea (Fagaceae) based on chloroplast trnT-L-F sequence data
- The genus Agaricus in the Caribbean. Nine new taxa mostly based on collections from the Dominican Republic
XML: View XML