Skip to Main Content
Forest carbon calculators: a review for managers, policymakers, and educatorsAuthor(s): Harold S.J. Zald; Thomas A. Spies; Mark E. Harmon; Mark J. Twery
Source: Journal of Forestry
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (311.0 KB)
DescriptionForests play a critical role sequestering atmospheric carbon dioxide, partially offsetting greenhouse gas emissions, and thereby mitigating climate change. Forest management, natural disturbances, and the fate of carbon in wood products strongly influence carbon sequestration and emissions in the forest sector. Government policies, carbon offset and trading programs, and sustainable forestry certification programs make it increasingly important that carbon dynamics are incorporated into forest management decisionmaking. Many analytical tools (which we refer to as forest carbon calculators) have been developed to quantify carbon stores and dynamics in the forest sector, but it can be difficult for potential users to know which carbon calculator(s) may be best for any given application. We review 12 forest carbon calculators, providing a classification and synthesis to assist forest managers, policymakers, and educators. Additionally, we discuss key characteristics missing in existing forest carbon calculators that are needed for current and future forest management decisionmaking.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZald, Harold S.J.; Spies, Thomas A.; Harmon, Mark E.; Twery, Mark J. 2016. Forest carbon calculators: a review for managers, policymakers, and educators. Journal of Forestry. 114(2): 134-143.
Keywordsforest carbon calculators, carbon sequestration, management, disturbance
- ForGATE - A Forest Sector Greenhouse Gas Assessment Tool for Maine: Calibration and Overview
- Evaluating land-use and private forest management responses to a potential forest carbon offset sales program in western Oregon (USA)
- Aligning ecology and markets in the forest carbon cycle
XML: View XML