Skip to Main Content
Trends in the use of materials for pallets and other factors affecting the demand for hardwood productsAuthor(s): Robert J. Bush; Jeffery J. Bejune; Bruce G. Hansen; Philip A. Araman
Source: Proceedings, 30th Annual Hardwood Symposium. 76-81.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (157.07 KB)
DescriptionThe pallet and container industry plays a critical role in the forest products industry and the U.S. economy. The industry provides a large market for low-grade wood, employs more than 50,000 in the U.S., and its products facilitate the shipment of goods within and outside the country. Due to the importance of this industry, the Center for Forest Products Marketing and Management, Department of Wood Science and Forest Products, at Virginia Tech and the U.S. Forest Service collaborated on a series of studies during the 1990s designed to track and report industry trends. These studies focused on the use of wood materials by the industry during the years 1992, 1993, 1995, and 1999, as well as the level of pallet recovery and reuse. This paper describes some of the trends suggested by the study results and identifies factors that will affect future hardwood use by the industry.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBush, Robert J.; Bejune, Jeffery J.; Hansen, Bruce G.; Araman, Philip A. 2002. Trends in the use of materials for pallets and other factors affecting the demand for hardwood products. Proceedings, 30th Annual Hardwood Symposium. 76-81.
- Changes and Trends in the Pallet Industry: The Use of New Wood Materials
- U.S. wood pallet material use trends
Material use and production changes in the U.S. wood pallet and container industry: 1992 to 2006
XML: View XML