Skip to Main Content
An Overview of CLT Research and Implementation in North AmericaAuthor(s): Shiling Pei; Douglas Rammer; Marjan Popovski; Tom Williamson; Philip Line; John W. van de Lindt
Source: In: WCTE 2016, August 22-25, 2016 Vienna, Austria
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (171.0 KB)
DescriptionAlthough not yet seen as common practice, building with cross laminated timber (CLT) is gaining momentum in North America. Behind the scenes of the widely publicized project initiatives such as the Wood Innovation Design Centre Building in Canada and the recent U.S. Tall Wood Building Competition, substantial research, engineering, and development has been completed or is underway to enable the adoption of this innovative building system. This paper presents a brief overview of the current status of CLT building development in North America, highlighting some recent U.S. and Canadian research efforts related to CLT system performance, and identifies future CLT research directions based on the needs of the North American market. The majority of the research summarized herein is from a recent CLT research workshop in Madison, Wisconsin, USA, organized by the USDA Forest Products Laboratory. The opportunity and need for coordination in CLT research and development among the global timber engineering community are also highlighted in the conclusions of this paper.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPei, Shiling; Rammer, Douglas; Popovski, Marjan; Williamson, Tom; Line, Philip; van de Lindt, John W. 2016. An overview of CLT research and implementation in North America. In: World Conference on Timer Engineering, WCTE 2016. 22-25 August 2016; Vienna, Austria. 10 pp.
KeywordsCross Laminated Timber, Research and development, Tall wood building, Building performances, North American market
- The North American Product Standard for Cross-Laminated Timber
- Chapter 4: Lateral design of cross-laminated timber buildings
- Progress on the development of seismic resilient Tall CLT Buildings in the Pacific Northwest
XML: View XML