Skip to Main Content
Criterion 6 Indicator 28: Total and Per Capita Consumption of Wood and Wood Products in Roundwood EquivalentsAuthor(s): James L. Howard; David B. McKeever; Ted Bilek
Source: USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, Research Note, FPL-RN-0338 22 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionTotal consumption of wood and paper products and fuelwood, in roundwood equivalents, increased between 1965 and 1988 from 13.3 to 19.6 billion cubic feet per year. Since 1988, it has been about 20 billion cubic feet per year. Total per capita consumption increased between 1965 and 1988, 68 to 80 ft3 per year. Since 1988 through 2011, per capita consumption has declined 42 ft3 per year. Consumption excluding fuelwood increased steadily between 1965 and 1988, from 12.3 to 16.8 billion cubic feet, before flattening out between 1989 and 2007. Per capita consumption, excluding fuelwood, has been declining since 1988. So, in roundwood equivalents, wood has been increasing at roughly the pace of population while paper consumption is moving in the opposite direction. Total consumption has been increasing faster than domestic harvest as net imports of wood and paper products have increased. If consumption continues to increase faster than domestic harvest, then an increasing proportion of the environmental and economic effects of our consumption will be felt in forests in other countries that export products to the United States.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoward, James L.; McKeever, David B.; Bilek, E.M. (Ted). 2016. Criterion 6 indicator 28: Total and per capita consumption of wood and wood products in roundwood equivalents. Research Note, FPL-RN-0338. Madison, WI. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 22 p.
Keywordsroundwood consumption, roundwood harvest, per capita consumption, per capita harvest
- Criterion 6, indicator 28 : total and per capita consumption of wood and wood products in round wood equivalents
- U.S. Timber Production, Trade, Consumption and Price Statistics 1965-2011
- U.S. Timber Production, Trade, Consumption, and Price Statistics, 1965-2013
XML: View XML