Skip to Main Content
Measurement of Dynamic Viscoelasticity of Full-Size Wood Composite Panels Using a Vibration Testing MethodAuthor(s): Cheng Guan; Houjiang Zhang; John F. Hunt; Lujing Zhou; Dan Feng
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe dynamic viscoelasticity of full-size wood composite panels (WCPs) under the free-free vibrational state were determined by a vibration testing method. Vibration detection tests were performed on 194 pieces of three types of full-size WCPs (particleboard, medium density fiberboard, and plywood (PW)). The dynamic viscoelasticity from smaller specimens cut from the panels was measured using a cantilever beam vibration test apparatus, and the two data sets were compared. A strong linear relationship was discovered between the dynamic viscoelasticity values measured by the vibration detection test and the cantilever beam vibration test. The storage modulus values of the panels were far higher than their loss modulus values, and PW panels had the smallest value of loss modulus. For the panels tested, density had a good linear impact on storage modulus. In comparison with density, logarithmic decrement had a greater linear impact on loss modulus. This study demonstrated that the vibration test method is a valid approach for determining the dynamic viscoelasticity of full-size WCPs.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGuan, Cheng; Zhang, Houjiang; Hunt, John F.; Zhou, Lujing; Feng, Dan. 2016. Measurement of dynamic viscoelasticity of full-size wood composite panels using a vibration testing method. BioResources. 11(2): 4593-4604.
KeywordsFull-size wood composite panel, Dynamic viscoelasticity, Storage modulus, Loss modulus
- Cantilever Beam Static and Dynamic Response Comparison with Mid-Point Bending for Thin MDF composite Panels
- Determining shear modulus of thin wood composite materials using a cantilever beam vibration method
- Evaluation of modulus of elasticity and modulus of rupture of full-size wood composite panels supported on two nodal-lines using a vibration technique
XML: View XML