Skip to Main Content
Overview of Cellulose Nanomaterials, Their Capabilities and ApplicationsAuthor(s): Robert J. Moon; Gregory T. Schueneman; John Simonsen
Source: JOM The Journal of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionCellulose nanomaterials (CNs) are a new class of cellulose particles with properties and functionalities distinct from molecular cellulose and wood pulp, and as a result, they are being developed for applications that were once thought impossible for cellulosic materials. Momentum is growing in CN research and development, and commercialization in this field is happening because of the unique combination of characteristics (e.g., high mechanical properties, sustainability, and large-scale production potential) and utility across a broad spectrum of material applications (e.g. as an additive, selfsustaining structures, and template structures) that CNs offer. Despite the challenges typical for materials development, CN and near-CN production is ramping up with pilot scale to industry demonstration trials, and the first commercial products are starting to hit the marketplace. This review provides a broad overview of CNs and their capabilities that are enabling new application areas for cellulose-based materials.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMoon, Robert J.; Schueneman, Gregory T.; Simonsen, John. 2016. Overview of cellulose nanomaterials, their capabilities and applications. The Journal of The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS). JOM. 68(9): 2383-2394.
Keywordscellulose nanomaterials, cellulose nanocrystals, cellulose nanofibrils, applications
- Opportunities for cellulose nanomaterials in packaging films: a review and future trends
- Toward cellulose nanomaterial commercialization: knowledge gap analysis for safety data sheets according to the globally harmonized system
- Current characterization methods for cellulose nanomaterials
XML: View XML