Skip to Main Content
Modelo empirico integral de una plantacion de Eucalyptus grandis en Concordia, Entre RiosAuthor(s): Jorge Frangi; Carolina Perez; Juan Goya; Natalia Teson; Marcelo Barrera; Marcelo Arturi
Source: Bosque (Valdivia)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
Download Publication (795.0 KB)
DescriptionThe Argentinian Mesopotamia is the core of fast-growing tree species plantations of the country. Eucalyptus grandis plantations constitute 90 % of the forested area with Eucalyptus spp. in NE Entre Rios. Based on previous studies on structural and functional features, a comprehensive model is here proposed on emergence of new properties linked to matter and ecosystem processes. Data from different plantations at harvest time were used: biomass, net primary productivity, water flows, nutrient flows, nutrient content in biomass, necromass and soil. Aboveground biomass, productivity and nutrient requirements were higher than belowground ones. Nutrient requirements, except phosphorus, were provided mostly by the absorption rather than by retranslocation whilst the opposite situation was observed in phosphorus. Litter fall and roots mortality were the main ways of nutrient return, except for potassium, which returned mainly by water flows. The high productivity of the plantation was supported by an important water and nutrients use efficiency. The importance of an appropriate harvest residue management is highlighted, since export of total aboveground biomass and its nutrients content involves a high distribution, compared with belowground storages. Compared with nitrogen, high phosphorus retranslocation efficiency would allow plantation to be more independent of mineralization and immobilization edaphic processes.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFrangi, Jorge; Perez, Carolina; Goya, Juan; Teson, Natalia; Barrera, Marcelo; Arturi, Marcelo. 2016. Modelo empirico integral de una plantacion de Eucalyptus grandis en Concordia, Entre Rios. Bosque (Valdivia), Vol. 37(1): 14 pages.: 191-204.
Keywordsbiomass, necromass, productivity, water flows, nutrient cycles
- Productivity, nutrient cycling, and succession in single- and mixed-species plantations of Casuarina equisetifolia, Eucalyptus robusta, and Leucaena leucocephala in Puerto Rico
- Contenido de nutrientes en las raices finas y el mantillo de rodales de Eucalyptus grandis de diferente edad en la Mesopotomia Argentina [Fine roots and litter nutrient content of Eucalyptus grandis stands presenting different ages in Mesopotomia Argentina]
- Comparative water use in short-rotation Eucalyptus benthamii and Pinus taeda trees in the southern United States
XML: View XML