Skip to Main Content
Heterologous production and characterization of two glyoxal oxidases from Pycnoporus cinnabarinusAuthor(s): Marianne Daou; François Piumi; Daniel Cullen; Eric Record; Craig B. Faulds
Source: Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 82(16)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe genome of the white rot fungus Pycnoporus cinnabarinus includes a large number of genes encoding enzymes implicated in lignin degradation. Among these, three genes are predicted to encode glyoxal oxidase, an enzyme previously isolated from Phanerochaete chrysosporium. The glyoxal oxidase of P. chrysosporium is physiologically coupled to lignin-oxidizing peroxidases via generation of extracellular H2O2 and utilizes an array of aldehydes and -hydroxycarbonyls as the substrates. Two of the predicted glyoxal oxidases of P. cinnabarinus, GLOX1 (PciGLOX1) and GLOX2 (PciGLOX2), were heterologously produced in Aspergillus niger strain D15#26 (pyrG negative) and purified using immobilized metal ion affinity chromatography, yielding 59 and 5 mg of protein for PciGLOX1 and PciGLOX2, respectively. Both proteins were approximately 60 kDa in size and N-glycosylated. The optimum temperature for the activity of these enzymes was 50°C, and the optimum pH was 6. The enzymes retained most of their activity after incubation at 50°C for 4 h. The highest relative activity and the highest catalytic efficiency of both enzymes occurred with glyoxylic acid as the substrate. The two P. cinnabarinus enzymes generally exhibited similar substrate preferences, but PciGLOX2 showed a broader substrate specificity and was significantly more active on 3-phenylpropionaldehyde.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDaou, Marianne; Piumi, François; Cullen, Daniel; Record, Eric; Faulds, Craig B. 2016. Heterologous production and characterization of two glyoxal oxidases from Pycnoporus cinnabarinus. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 82(16). 4867-4875.
KeywordsPycnoporus, glyoxal oxidases, lignin, white rot
- A novel extracellular multicopper oxidase from Phanerochaete chrysosporium with ferroxidase activity
- Structure, organization, and transcriptional regulation of a family of copper radical oxidase genes in the lignin-degrading basidiomycete Phanerochaete chrysosporium
- Copper radical oxidases and related extracellular oxidoreductases of wood-decay Agaricomycetes
XML: View XML