Skip to Main Content
Influence of solvent type on microwave-assisted liquefaction of bambooAuthor(s): Jiulong Xie; Chung Hse; Todd F. Shupe; Tingxing Hu
Source: European Journal of Wood and Wood Products
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionMicrowave-assisted liquefaction of bamboo in glycerol, polyethylene glycerol (PEG), methanol, ethanol, and water were comparatively investigated by evaluating the temperature-dependence for conversion and liquefied residue characteristics. The conversion for the liquefaction in methanol, ethanol, and water increased with an increase in reaction temperature, while that for liquefaction in glycerol and PEG was converse. The results of Fourier transform-infrared spectra for the liquefied residues revealed that cellulose was the main resistance to bamboo liquefaction in methanol, ethanol, and water. Glycerol could be selected as a commendable liquefacient for the solvolysis of bamboo components at low temperature using microwave energy. Moreover, liquefaction behaviors in glycerol and methanol under different temperatures were also distinguished by scanning electron microscopy images.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationXie, Jiulong; Hse, Chung-Yun; Shupe, Todd F.; Hu, Tingxing. 2016. Influence of solvent type on microwave-assisted liquefaction of bamboo. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products, Vol. 74(2): 6 pages.: 249-254.
- Liquefaction behaviors of bamboo residues in a glycerol-based solvent using microwave energy
- Optimization for microwave-assisted direct liquefaction of bamboo residue in glycerol/methanol mixtures
- Effect of fabricated density and bamboo species on physical-mechanical properties of bamboo fiber bundle reinforced composites
XML: View XML