Skip to Main Content
Extraction and characterization of holocellulose fibers by microwave-assisted selective liquefaction of bambooAuthor(s): Jiulong Xie; Chung Hse; Todd F. Shupe; Hui Pan; Tingxing Hu
Source: Journal of Applied Polymer Science
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (799.0 KB)
DescriptionMicrowave-assisted selective liquefaction was proposed and used as a novel method for the isolation of holocellulose fibers. The results showed that the bamboo lignin component and extractives were almost completely removed by using a liquefaction process at 120 8C for 9 min, and the residual lignin and extractives in the solid residue were as low as 0.65% and 0.49%, respectively. Increasing the reaction temperature or time could decrease the solid yield, but they can also enhance the removal of lignin and extractives from bamboo particles and increase the holocellulose content in the solid residue. The absorbance bands that characterized functional groups of lignin on the Fourier transform infrared spectra of the solid residue weakened or disappeared. The solid residue showed high crystallinity, indicating the removal of noncellulosic material. Small cracks were observed on the SEM images of the residue, which indicated that the fibers from liquefaction may be susceptible to chemical access or enzyme attack.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationXie, Jiulong; Hse, Chung-Yun; Shupe, Todd F.; Pan, Hui; Hu, Tingxing. 2016. Extraction and characterization of holocellulose fibers by microwave-assisted selective liquefaction of bamboo. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 133(18): n/a-n/a.
Keywordsbamboo, fiber, microwave, selective liquefaction
- Important properties of bamboo pellets to be used as commercial solid fuel in China
- Comparative Properties of Bamboo and Rice Straw Pellets
- Effects of carbonization conditions on properties of bamboo pellets
XML: View XML