Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Determining shear modulus of thin wood composite materials using a cantilever beam vibration methodAuthor(s): Cheng Guan; Houjiang Zhang; John F. Hunt; Haicheng Yan
Source: Construction and Building Materials,Vol. 121. pp. 285-289
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (648.0 KB)
DescriptionShear modulus (G) of thin wood composite materials is one of several important indicators that characterizes mechanical properties. However, there is not an easy method to obtain this value. This study presents the use of a newly developed cantilever beam free vibration test apparatus to detect in-plane G of thin wood composite materials by measuring the first order free vibration cantilever specimens and its logarithmic decrement of vibration. Six sets of commercially purchased thin wood composite materials having three different fiber types were tested. A significant linear correlation was found between inplane G and bending modulus of elasticity (MOE) from cantilever-beam free vibration test and MOE was shown to be approximately two times of in-plane G. This was in full agreement with previous findings by other researchers. The study demonstrated that the cantilever beam free vibration method could be widely used to obtain in-plane G easily for thin wood composite materials.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGuan, Cheng; Zhang, Houjiang; Hunt, John F.; Yan, Haicheng. 2016. Determining shear modulus of thin wood composite materials using a cantilever beam vibration method. Construction and Building Materials. 121: 285-289.
KeywordsThin wood composite materials, Cantilever beam free vibration, In-plane shear modulus, Modulus of elasticity, Logarithmic decrement
- Cantilever Beam Static and Dynamic Response Comparison with Mid-Point Bending for Thin MDF composite Panels
- Cantilever-beam dynamic modulus for wood composite products. Part 1, apparatus
- Measurement of Dynamic Viscoelasticity of Full-Size Wood Composite Panels Using a Vibration Testing Method
XML: View XML