Skip to Main Content
Field testing and structural analysis of Burr arch covered bridges in PennsylvaniaAuthor(s): Douglas Rammer; James Wacker; Travis Hosteng; Justin Dahlberg; Yaohua Deng
Source: WCTE 2016, World Conference on Timber Engineering, August 22-25, 2016, Vienna, Austria.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Federal Highway Administration sponsored a comprehensive research program on Historic Covered Timber Bridges in the USA. This national program's main purpose is to develop improved methods to preserve, rehabilitate, and restore timber bridge trusses that were developed during the early 1800s and, in many cases, are still in service today. One of the many ongoing research studies is aimed at establishing a procedure for safely and reliably load-rating historic covered bridges though physical testing and improved structural modelling. This paper focuses on recent field work and analysis of four Burr Arch through-truss-type covered bridges located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. An overview of field evaluation methods, loading testing, and structural modelling procedures are included along with a comparison of field measurements and structural model prediction of bridge behaviour
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRammer, Douglas; Wacker, James; Hosteng, Travis; Dahlberg, Justin; Deng, Yaohua. 2016. Field testing and structural analysis of Burr Arch covered bridges in Pennsylvania. In: World Conference on Timber Engineering, WCTE 2016. 22-25 August 2016; Vienna, Austria. 10 pp.
Keywordsloading rating, structural analysis, covered bridges, historical landmark, burr arch
- Field investigations of historic covered timber bridges in the USA
- Live Load Testing of Historic Covered Timber Bridges
- Live-load performance evaluation of historic covered timber bridges in the United States
XML: View XML