Skip to Main Content
High-performance green flexible electronics based on biodegradable cellulose nanofibril paperAuthor(s): Yei Hwan Jung; Tzu-Hsuan Chang; Huilong Zhang; Chunhua Yao; Qifeng Zheng; Vina W. Yang; Hongyi Mi; Munho Kim; Sang June Cho; Dong-Wook Park; Hao Jiang; Juhwan Lee; Yijie Qiu; Weidong Zhou; Zhiyong Cai; Shaoqin Gong; Zhenqiang Ma
Source: Nature Communications, Volume 6
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionToday’s consumer electronics, such as cell phones, tablets and other portable electronic devices, are typically made of non-renewable, non-biodegradable, and sometimes potentially toxic (for example, gallium arsenide) materials. These consumer electronics are frequently upgraded or discarded, leading to serious environmental contamination. Thus, electronic systems consisting of renewable and biodegradable materials and minimal amount of potentially toxic materials are desirable. Here we report high-performance flexible microwave and digital electronics that consume the smallest amount of potentially toxic materials on biobased, biodegradable and flexible cellulose nanofibril papers. Furthermore, we demonstrate gallium arsenide microwave devices, the consumer wireless workhorse, in a transferrable thin-film form. Successful fabrication of key electrical components on the flexible cellulose nanofibril paper with comparable performance to their rigid counterparts and clear demonstration of fungal biodegradation of the cellulose-nanofibril-based electronics suggest that it is feasible to fabricate high-performance flexible electronics using ecofriendly materials.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJung, Yei Hwan; Chang, Tzu-Hsuan; Zhang, Huilong; Yao, Chunhua; Zheng, Qifeng; Yang, Vina W.; Mi, Hongyi; Kim, Munho; Cho, Sang June; Park, Dong-Wook; Jiang, Hao; Lee, Juhwan; Qiu, Yijie; Zhou, Weidong; Cai, Zhiyong; Gong, Shaoqin; Ma, Zhenqiang. 2015. High-performance green flexible electronics based on biodegradable cellulose nanofibril paper. Nature Communications. 6(7170): 1-11.
KeywordsFlexible electronics, cellulose nanofibril paper, biodegradable
- Microwave flexible transistors on cellulose nanofibrillated fiber substrates
- Characterizations of biodegradable epoxy-coated cellulose nanofibrils (CNF) thin film for flexible microwave applications
- Heterogeneously integrated flexible microwave amplifiers on a cellulose nanofibril substrate
XML: View XML