Skip to Main Content
Poly(vinyl alcohol)/cellulose nanofibril hybrid aerogels with an aligned microtubular porous structure and their composites with polydimethylsiloxaneAuthor(s): Tianliang Zhai; Qifeng Zheng; Zhiyong Cai; Lih-Sheng Turng; Hesheng Xia; Shaoqin Gong
Source: ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (5.0 MB)
DescriptionSuperhydrophobic poly(vinyl alcohol) (PVA)/ cellulose nanofibril (CNF) aerogels with a unidirectionally aligned microtubular porous structure were prepared using a unidirectional freeze-drying process, followed by the thermal chemical vapor deposition of methyltrichlorosilane. The silanized aerogels were characterized using various techniques including scanning electron microscopy (SEM), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, and contact angle measurements. The structure of the aerogels fully filled with polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) was confirmed by SEM and optical microscopy. The mechanical properties of the resulting PDMS/aerogel composites were examined using both compressive and tensile tests. The compressive and tensile Young’s moduli of the fully filled PDMS/aerogel composites were more than 2-fold and 15-fold higher than those of pure PDMS. This study provides a novel alternative approach for preparing high performance polymer nanocomposites with a bicontinuous structure.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhai, Tianliang; Zheng, Qifeng; Cai, Zhiyong; Turng, Lih-Sheng; Xia, Hesheng; Gong, Shaoqin. 2015. Poly(vinyl alcohol)/cellulose nanofibril hybrid aerogels with an aligned microtubular porous structure and their composites with polydimethylsiloxane. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. 7(13): 7436-7444.
Keywordsorganic aerogels, cellulose nanofibrils (CNFs), polydimethylsiloxane, unidirectional freeze-drying, mechanical properties
- Applications of polyamide/cellulose fiber/wollastonite composites for microcellular injection molding
- Green Synthesis of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA)-cellulose nanofibril (CNF) hybrid aerogels and their use as superabsorbents
- Characteristics of regenerated nanocellulosic fibers from cellulose dissolution in aqueous solutions for wood fiber/polypropylene composites
XML: View XML