Skip to Main Content
Creation and genomic analysis of irradiation hybrids in PopulusAuthor(s): Matthew S. Zinkgraf; K. Haiby; M.C. Lieberman; L. Comai; I.M. Henry; Andrew Groover
Source: Current Protocols in Plant Biology. 1: 431-450
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionEstablishing efficient functional genomic systems for creating and characterizing genetic variation in forest trees is challenging. Here we describe protocols for creating novel gene-dosage variation in Populus through gamma-irradiation of pollen, followed by genomic analysis to identify chromosomal regions that have been deleted or inserted in each F1 individual. Irradiated pollen is used in a controlled, interspecific cross to create F1 progeny that carry deletions and insertions of chromosomal regions. These insertions and deletions result in novel changes in gene dosage that in turn affect both qualitative and quantitative phenotypic traits. The protocols described here outline the processes involved in optimizing irradiation levels and performing controlled crosses, sowing seed and propagating seedlings, and genome-wide sequence-based analysis of deletions and insertions in the F1 progeny. The same approach could be applied to other vegetatively propagated species.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZinkgraf, M.; Haiby, K.; Lieberman, M.C.; Comai, L.; Henry, I.M.; Groover, A. 2016. Creation and genomic analysis of irradiation hybrids in Populus. Current Protocols in Plant Biology. 1: 431-450.
Keywordsforest trees, gene dosage, genomics, mutagenesis, Populus
- A comprehensive genomic scan reveals gene dosage balance impacts on quantitative traits in Populus trees
- A system for dosage-based functional genomics in poplar
- Adaptability of Populus to physiography and growing conditions in the southeastern USA
XML: View XML