Skip to Main Content
ForestCrowns: a transparency estimation tool for digital photographs of forest canopiesAuthor(s): Matthew Winn; Jeff Palmer; S.-M. Lee; Philip Araman
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (4.0 MB)
DescriptionForestCrowns is a Windows®-based computer program that calculates forest canopy transparency (light transmittance) using ground-based digital photographs taken with standard or hemispherical camera lenses. The software can be used by forest managers and researchers to monitor growth/decline of forest canopies; provide input for leaf area index estimation; measure light transmission to the forest floor; analyze canopy gaps; detect disease, insect, or storm damage; and monitor health treatments. ForestCrowns can analyze entire images or target specific areas to obtain transparency estimates of individual tree crowns. The program can also store images and assessment results, allowing for periodic monitoring of canopies and crowns.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWinn, M.F.; Palmer, A.J.; Lee, S.-M.; Araman, P.A. 2016. ForestCrowns: a transparency estimation tool for digital photographs of forest canopies. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–215. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 10 p
KeywordsCrowns, forest canopy, light transmittance, monitoring, transparency.
- ForestCrowns: a software tool for analyzing ground-based digital photographs of forest canopies
- A tool to determine crown and plot canopy transparency for forest inventory and analysis phase 3 plots using digital photographs
- Digital photo monitoring for tree crown
XML: View XML