Experimental procedures characterizing firebrand generation in wildland firesAuthor(s): Mohamad El Houssami; Eric Mueller; Alexander Filkov; Jan C Thomas; Nicholas Skowronski; Michael R Gallagher; Ken Clark; Robert Kremens; Albert Simeoni
Source: Fire Technology. 52(3): 731-751.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (6.0 MB)
DescriptionThis study aims to develop a series of robust and efficient methodologies, which can be applied to understand and estimate firebrand generation and to evaluate firebrand showers close to a fire front. A field scale high intensity prescribed fire was conducted in the New Jersey Pine Barrens in March 2013. Vegetation was characterised with field and remotely sensed data, fire spread and intensity was characterised and meteorological conditions were monitored before and during the burn. Firebrands were collected from different locations in the forest and analysed for mass and size distribution. The majority were found to be bark slices (more than 70%) with substantial amounts of pine and shrub twigs. Shrub layer consumption was evaluated to supplement the firebrand generation study. Bark consumption was studied by measuring the circumference variation at several heights on each of three different pine trees. The variation was in the same order of magnitude as the bark thickness (1–5 mm). Testing and improving the protocol can facilitate the collection of compatible data in a wide range of ecosystems and fire environments, aiding in the development of solutions to prevent structural ignition at the Wildland Urban Interface.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
El Houssami, Mohamad; Mueller, Eric; Filkov, Alexander; Thomas, Jan C; Skowronski, Nicholas; Gallagher, Michael R; Clark, Kenneth; Kremens, Robert; Simeoni, Albert. 2016. Experimental procedures characterizing firebrand generation in wildland fires. Fire Technology. 52(3): 731-751.
KeywordsFirebrands, Generation, Pine forest
- Investigation of firebrand generation from an experimental fire: Development of a reliable data collection methodology
- Evaluation of FOFEM fuel loading and consumption estimates in pine-oak forests and woodlands of the Ouachita Mountains, Arkansas, USA
- Remotely sensed measurements of forest structure and fuel loads in the Pinelands of New Jersey
XML: View XML