Skip to Main Content
Integrating Science and Management to Assess Forest Ecosystem Vulnerability to Climate ChangeAuthor(s): Leslie A. Brandt; Patricia R. Butler; Stephen D. Handler; Maria K. Janowiak; P. Danielle Shannon; Christopher W. Swanston
Source: Journal of Forestry
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (707.0 KB)
DescriptionWe developed the ecosystem vulnerability assessment approach (EVAA) to help inform potential adaptation actions in response to a changing climate. EVAA combines multiple quantitative models and expert elicitation from scientists and land managers. In each of eight assessment areas, a panel of local experts determined potential vulnerability of forest ecosystems to climate change over the next century using EVAA. Vulnerability and uncertainty ratings for forest community types in each assessment area were developed. The vulnerability of individual forest types to climate change varied by region due to regional differences in how climate change is expected to affect system drivers, stressors, and dominant species and the capacity of a forest community to adapt. This assessment process is a straightforward and flexible approach to addressing the key components of vulnerability in a collaborative setting and can easily be applied to a range of forest ecosystems at local to regional scales.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrandt, Leslie A.; Butler, Patricia R.; Handler, Stephen D.; Janowiak, Maria K.; Shannon, P. Danielle; Swanston, Christopher W. 2017.Integrating Science and Management to Assess Forest Ecosystem Vulnerability to Climate Change. Journal of Forestry. 115(3): 212-221. https://doi.org/10.5849/jof.15-147.
Keywordsclimate change vulnerability, climate impact assessment, expert elicitation, adaptive capacity, uncertainty, climate change adaptation
- Climate change vulnerability and adaptation in the Northern Rocky Mountains [Part 1]
- Climate change vulnerability and adaptation in the Northern Rocky Mountains [Part 2]
- Developing and implementing climate change adaptation options in forest ecosystems: a case study in southwestern Oregon, USA
XML: View XML