Skip to Main Content
Developing new microsatellite markers in walnut (Juglans regia L.) from Juglans nigra genomic GA enriched libraryAuthor(s): Hayat Topcu; Nergiz Coban; Keith Woeste; Mehmet Sutyemez; Salih Kafkas
Source: Ekin Journal of Crop Breeding and Genetics. 1-2: 93-99.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (515.0 KB)
DescriptionWe attempted to develop new polymorphic SSR primer pairs in walnut using sequences derived from Juglans nigra L. genomic enriched library with GA repeat. The designed 94 SSR primer pairs were subjected to gradient PCR in 12 walnut cultivars to determine their optimum annealing temperatures and to determine whether they produce bands. Then, the primer pairs which had amplification in agarose gel were analyzed in capillary electrophoresis to determine their allele sizes. According to the gradient PCR and capillary electrophoresis results, 60.6% of the SSR primer pairs did not amplify any bands in agarose gel. Rest of the 37 primer pairs produced bands and their annealing temperatures and allele sizes were determined. From the amplified primer pairs, 18 of them were monomorphic, while 19 of them were polymorphic. As a result, 20.2% polymorphism was obtained from 94 SSR primer pairs tested in this study which had lower ratio when compared to the literature.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTopcu, Hayat; Coban, Nergiz; Woeste, Keith; Sutyemez, Mehmet; Kafkas, Salih. 2015. Developing new microsatellite markers in walnut (Juglans regia L.) from Juglans nigra genomic GA enriched library. Ekin Journal of Crop Breeding and Genetics. 1-2: 93-99.
KeywordsSSR, walnut, polymorphism, PCR
- Mating parameter estimates of black walnut based on natural and artificial populations
- Microsatellite Borders and Micro-sequence Conservation in Juglans
- Discrimination and assessment of black walnut (Juglans nigra L.) cultivars using phenology and microsatellite markers (SSRs)
XML: View XML