Skip to Main Content
Optimization for microwave-assisted direct liquefaction of bamboo residue in glycerol/methanol mixturesAuthor(s): Jiulong Xie; Jinqiu Qi; Chungyun Hse; Todd F. Shupe
Source: Journal of Forestry Research
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (441.0 KB)
DescriptionBamboo residues were liquefied in a mixture of glycerol and methanol in the presence of sulfuric acid using microwave energy. We investigated the effects of liquefaction conditions, including glycerol/methanol ratio, liquefaction temperature, and reaction time on the conversion yield. The optimal liquefaction conditions were under the temperature of 120 C, the reaction time of 7 min, the glycerol–methanol–bamboo ratio of 8/0/2 (W/W), and the microwave power of 300 W. Maximum conversion yield was 96.7 %. The liquid products were separated into two contents (water soluble part and precipitate part) by addition of a sufficient amount of water. By Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR), the water soluble content mainly contained glycerol and its derivate and carbohydrate degradation products, and the precipitate content was mainly lignin derivatives.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationXie, Jiulong; Qi, Jinqiu; Hse, Chungyun; Shupe, Todd F. 2015. Optimization for microwave-assisted direct liquefaction of bamboo residue in glycerol/methanol mixtures. Journal of Forestry Research. 26(1): 261-265. 5 p. 10.1007/s11676-015-0032-1
KeywordsBamboo residue, Microwave, Liquefaction, Glycerol
- Influence of solvent type on microwave-assisted liquefaction of bamboo
- Liquefaction behaviors of bamboo residues in a glycerol-based solvent using microwave energy
- Effective of Microwave-KOH Pretreatment on Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Bamboo
XML: View XML