Effects of prescribed fire on wildlife and wildlife habitat in selected ecosystems of North AmericaAuthor(s): William M. Block; L. Mike Conner; Paul A. Brewer; Paulette Ford; Jonathan Haufler; Andrea Litt; Ronald E. Masters; Laura R. Mitchell; Jane Park
Source: Technical Review 16-01. Bethesda, MD: The Wildlife Society. 69 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.0 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Effects of prescribed fire on wildlife and wildlife habitat in selected ecosystems of North America
Prescribed fire is applied widely as a management tool in North America to meet various objectives such as reducing fuel loads and fuel continuity, returning fire to an ecosystem, enhancing wildlife habitats, improving forage, preparing seedbeds, improving watershed conditions, enhancing nutrient cycling, controlling exotic weeds, and enhancing resilience from climate change. Regardless of the particular objective, fire affects ecosystem structure, composition, and function in many ways.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBlock, William M.; Conner, L. Mike; Brewer, Paul A.; Ford, Paulette; Haufler, Jonathan; Litt, Andrea; Masters, Ronald E.; Mitchell, Laura R.; Park, Jane. 2016. Effects of prescribed fire on wildlife and wildlife habitat in selected ecosystems of North America. Technical Review 16-01. Bethesda, MD: The Wildlife Society. 69 p.
Keywordsprescribed fire, management tool, wildlife habitats, ecosystems
- Down woody materials as an indicator of wildlife habitat, fuels, and carbon stocks of the United States
- Objectives and considerations for wildland fuel treatment in forested ecosystems of the interior western United States
- Whither wildlife without fire?
XML: View XML