Skip to Main Content
Estimating extent of mortality associated with the Douglas-fir beetle in the Central and Northern RockiesAuthor(s): Jose F. Negron; Willis C. Schaupp; Kenneth E. Gibson; John Anhold; Dawn Hansen; Ralph Thier; Phil Mocettini
Source: Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 14(3): 121-127.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (561.0 KB)
DescriptionData collected from Douglas-fir stands infected by the Douglas-fir beetle in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Utah, were used to develop models to estimate amount of mortality in terms of basal area killed. Models were built using stepwise linear regression and regression tree approaches. Linear regression models using initial Douglas-fir basal area were built for all study sites but produce low precision estimates. Regression tree models using initial Douglas-fir basal area of stand density index or both were also build for all sites. Regression tree models provide a more realistic approach to estimate potential mortality by creating more homogenous mortality classes with reduced variance. The models developed provide land managers with a basis for determining the potential mortality should a Douglas-fir beetle outbreak develop.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNegron, Jose F.; Schaupp, Willis C., Jr.; Gibson, Kenneth E.; Anhold, John; Hansen, Dawn; Thier, Ralph; Mocettini, Phil. 1999. Estimating extent of mortality associated with the Douglas-fir beetle in the Central and Northern Rockies. Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 14(3): 121-127.
KeywordsDouglas-fir, Douglas-fir beetle, tree mortality
- Within-stand spatial distribution of tree mortality caused by the Douglas-Fir beetle (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- Probability of infestation and extent of mortality associated with the Douglas-fir beetle in the Colorado Front Range
- A diameter increment model for Red Fir in California and Southern Oregon
XML: View XML