Skip to Main Content
Proceedings: hidden forest values—the first Alaska-wide nontimber forest products conference and tour.Author(s): comps Alaska Boreal Forest Council
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-579. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 150 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (7.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Hidden Forest Values Conference brought together a diverse assemblage of local, state, and federal agencies, tribal governments, traditional users, landholders, cottage enterprises and other nontimber forest products (NTFP) related businesses, scientists, and experts. The purpose of this forum was to exchange information, cooperate, and raise awareness of issues on sustainable and equitable, environmentally and economically viable opportunities for NTFP in Alaska. This discourse sought a balance of development and sustainability, with respect for traditional uses. Nontimber forest products were defined by the conference organizers as biological material harvested from the forest that has not been produced from commercially sawn wood such as lumber, pulp, and paper. These proceedings include extended summaries of presentations by speakers and panelists at the conference. All summaries were compiled and edited by the Alaska Boreal Forest Council and reviewed by the authors. Some authors elected to provide their full presentation or supplemental material; those are included in Appendix V.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAlaska Boreal Forest Council, comps. 2003. Proceedings: hidden forest values—the first Alaska-wide nontimber forest products conference and tour. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-579. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 150 p
- Proceedings: linking healthy forests and communities—successful strategies and future directions.
- Nontimber forest product opportunities in Alaska.
- Nontimber forest products in the United States: Montreal Process indicators as measures of current conditions and sustainability
XML: View XML