Skip to Main Content
WestPro: a computer program for simulating uneven-aged Douglas-fir stand growth and yield in the Pacific Northwest.Author(s): Rebecca Ralston; Joseph Buongiorno; Benedict Schulte; Jeremy Fried
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-574. Portland, OR : U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 25 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.8 MB)
DescriptionWestPro is an add-in program designed to work with Microsoft Excel to simulate the growth of uneven-aged Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco) stands in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. Given the initial stand state, defined as the number of softwood and hardwood trees per acre by diameter class, WestPro predicts the future stand state for each year of a predetermined time horizon. Management regimes are defined by a target stand distribution and a cutting cycle. Performance indicators include diversity of tree size and species, timber yield, and net present value of harvest over the given horizon. This paper contains background information on the WestPro program and instructions and suggestions for its application. By working the examples found in the text, the user will learn how to simulate the growth of a given initial stand and to predict how different management regimes may affect stand structure, yield, and diversity. Limitations of the model also are discussed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRalston, Rebecca; Buongiorno, Joseph; Schulte, Benedict; Fried, Jeremy. 2003. WestPro: a computer program for simulating uneven-aged Douglas-fir stand growth and yield in the Pacific Northwest. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-574. Portland, OR : U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 25 p
KeywordsDouglas-fir, Pseudotsuga menziesii, uneven-aged, management, economics, ecology, WestPro, simulation, software, growth model, diversity
- Calibration and modification for the Pacific Northwest of the New Zealand Douglas-fir silvicultural growth model.
- WestProPlus: a stochastic spreadsheet program for the management of all-aged Douglas-fir–hemlock forests in the Pacific Northwest.
- The role of tree improvement programs for ex situ gene conservation of coastal Douglas-fir in the Pacific Northwest.
XML: View XML