Skip to Main Content
Six simple guidelines for introducing new genera of fungiAuthor(s): Else C. Vellinga; Thomas W. Kuyper; Joe Ammirati; Dennis E. Desjardin; Roy E. Halling; Alfredo Justo; Thomas Læssøe; D. Jean Lodge; P. Brandon Matheny; Andrew S. Methven; Pierre-Arthur Moreau; Gregory M. Mueller; Michael E. Noordeloos; Jorinde Nuytinck; Clark L. Ovrebo; Annemieke Verbeken
Source: IMA Fungus, Volume 6, No. 2 pp. 65-68
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (0 B)
DescriptionWe formulate five guidelines for introducing new genera, plus one recommendation how to publish the results of scientific research. We recommend that reviewers and editors adhere to these guidelines. We propose that the underlying research is solid, and that the results and the final solutions are properly discussed. The six criteria are: (1) all genera that are recognized should be monophyletic; (2) the coverage of the phylogenetic tree should be wide in number of species, geographic coverage, and type species of the genera under study; (3) the branching of the phylogenetic trees has to have sufficient statistical support; (4) different options for the translation of the phylogenetic tree into a formal classification should be discussed and the final decision justified; (5) the phylogenetic evidence should be based on more than one gene; and (6) all supporting evidence and background information should be included in the publication in which the new taxa are proposed, and this publication should be peer-reviewed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVellinga, Else C.; Kuyper, Thomas W.; Ammirati, Joe; Desjardin, Dennis E.; Halling, Roy E.; Justo, Alfredo; Læssøe, Thomas; Lebel Teresa; Lodge, Jean D.; Matheny, P. Brandon; Methven, Andrew S.; Moreau, Pierre-Arthur; Mueller, Gregory M.; Noordeloos, Michael E.; Nuytinck, Jorinde; Ovrebo, Clark L.; Verbeken, Annemieke. 2015. Six simple guidelines for introducing new genera of fungi. IMA Fungus, Volume 6, No. 2 pp. 65-68
Keywordsbasidiomycetes, molecular systematics, nomenclature, phylogenetics, taxonomy
- Morphological studies in Veluticeps, Pileodon, and related taxa
- Phylogeny and taxonomic revision of the Planistromellaceae including its coelomycetous anamorphs: contributions towards a monograph of the genus Kellermania
- The splitting of Hygrocybe
XML: View XML