Skip to Main Content
A Pilot Sampling Design for Estimating Outdoor Recreation Site Visits on the National ForestsAuthor(s): Stanley J. Zarnoch; S.M. Kocis; H. Ken Cordell; D.B.K. English
Source: Res. Pap. SRS-29.Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 20p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (362 KB)
DescriptionA pilot sampling design is described for estimating site visits to National Forest System lands. The three-stage sampling design consisted of national forest ranger districts, site days within ranger districts, and last-exiting recreation visitors within site days. Stratification was used at both the primary and secondary stages. Ranger districts were stratified based on Bailey's ecoregions, while site days were stratified based on site type, season, and day type. Statistical methodology is presented to derive site-visit estimates at the site day, ranger district, and national levels. Results are presented to illustrate the magnitude of the site-visit estimates, their variability, and confidence intervals. With such information, an evaluation of the stratification variables is presented using the design effect and the relative hypothetical efficiency. Sample size analysis is performed to provide recommendations for future sample surveys to meet specified levels of precision
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZarnoch, Stanley J.; Kocis, S.M.; Cordell, H. Ken; English, D.B.K. 2002. A Pilot Sampling Design for Estimating Outdoor Recreation Site Visits on the National Forests. Res. Pap. SRS-29.Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 20p.
KeywordsNational forests, outdoor recreation, sampling, site visit
- The National Visitor Use Monitoring methodology and final results for round 1
- Appalachian National Scenic Trail pilot survey
- Forest Service National Visitor Use Monitoring Process: Research Method Documentation
XML: View XML