Skip to Main Content
Determination of seismic performance factors for CLT shear wall systemsAuthor(s): M. Omar Amini; John W. van de Lindt; Douglas Rammer; Shiling Pei; Philip Line; Marjan Popovski
Source: WCTE 2016, World conference on Timber Engineering, August 22-25, 2016, Vienna, Austria.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (2.0 MB)
DescriptionThis paper presents selected results of connector testing and wall testing which were part of a Forest Products Lab-funded project undertaken at Colorado State University in an effort to determine seismic performance factors for cross laminated timber (CLT) shear walls in the United States. Archetype development, which is required as part of the process, is also discussed. Connector tests were performed on generic angle brackets which were tested under shear and uplift and performed as expected with consistent nail withdrawal observed. Quasi-static cyclic tests were conducted on CLT shear walls to systematically investigate the effects of various parameters. Boundary constraints and gravity loading were both found to have a beneficial effect on the wall performance, i.e. higher strength and deformation capacity. Specific gravity also had a significant effect on wall behaviour while CLT thickness was less influential. Higher aspect ratio panels (4:1) demonstrated lower stiffness and substantially larger deformation capacity compared to moderate aspect ratio panels (2:1). However, based on the test results there is likely a lower bound of 2:1 for aspect ratio where it ceases to have any beneficial effect on wall behaviour. This is likely due to the transition from the dominant rocking behaviour to sliding behaviour.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAmini, M. Omar; van de Lindt, John W.; Rammer, Douglas; Pei, Shiling; Line, Philip; Popovski, Marjan. 2016. Determination of seismic performance factors for CLT shear wall systems. In: World conference on Timber Engineering, WCTE 2016. 22-25 August 2016, Vienna, Austria. 8 pp.
KeywordsCross-laminated timber (CLT), seismic performance factors, FEMA P695 methodology, ASCE7
- Systematic experimental investigation to support the development of seismic performance factors for cross laminated timber shear wall systems
- Developing seismic performance factors for cross laminated timber in the United States
- SIP Shear Walls: Cyclic Performance of High-Aspect-Ratio Segments and Perforated Walls
XML: View XML