Skip to Main Content
Effects of local land-use planning on development and disturbance in riparian areasAuthor(s): Judith A. Dempsey; Andrew J. Plantinga; Jeffrey D. Kline; Joshua J. Lawler; Sebastian Martinuzzi; Volker C. Radeloff; Daniel P. Bigelow
Source: Land Use Policy. 60: 16-25.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionLand-use change can significantly affect the provision of ecosystem services. On a local scale, zoning laws and other land-use regulations are commonly used to influence land-use change, but their effectiveness is often unclear. We evaluate the effectiveness of local land-use planning in concentrating development and minimizing impacts in riparian areas. We use spatially-explicit land cover data from the USGS Land Cover Trends project to measure development and disturbance rates before and after implementation of Oregon’s land-use planning system. We apply a difference-in-difference estimator to address the problem of non-random assignment of regulations on the landscape. We find that land-use laws in Oregon have concentrated development inside of UGBs and lowered development rates in riparian areas. However, disturbance in riparian areas has increased inside of UGBs. Overall, our findings suggest that local land-use planning can be an effective tool for promoting the provision of non-market ecosystem services.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDempsey, Judith A.; Plantinga, Andrew J.; Kline, Jeffrey D.; Lawler, Joshua J.; Martinuzzi, Sebastian; Radeloff, Volker C.; Bigelow, Daniel P. 2017. Effects of local land-use planning on development and disturbance in riparian areas. Land Use Policy. 60: 16-25.
KeywordsEcosystem services, land-use planning, difference-in-difference estimator
- Land-use change and new houses on forestland: contrasting trends over 30 years in Oregon and Washington
- Changes in riparian vegetation buffers in response to development in three Oregon cities
- Land Use, Conservation, Forestry, and Agriculture in Puerto Rico
XML: View XML