Skip to Main Content
Simple and accurate temperature correction for moisture pin calibrations in oriented strand boardAuthor(s): Charles Boardman; Samuel V. Glass; Patricia K. Lebow
Source: Building and Environment. 112 (2017): 250-260.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionOriented strand board (OSB) is commonly used in the residential construction market in North America and its moisture-related durability is a critical consideration for building envelope design. Measurement of OSB moisture content (MC), a key determinant of durability, is often done using moisture pins and relies on a correlation between MC and the electrical resistance (R) of the OSB between the pins. Early work on these correlations focused on solid lumber and recent correlations for engineered wood products lack data regarding the temperature effects on R. We provide data on 1001 resistance measurements in OSB, sourced from three different locations, over a wide temperature (-17°C-70°C) and relative humidity (35%-95%) range. This data, in conjunction with gravimetric MC readings, is used to test existing correlations and support a new simple, accurate formula for calculating MC from resistance and temperature measurements in OSB.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBoardman, C.R.; Glass, Samuel V.; Lebow, Patricia K. 2017. Simple and accurate temperature correction for moisture pin calibrations in oriented strand board. Building and Environment. 112: 250-260.
KeywordsMoisture pin, Oriented strand board, moisture content, Resistance, Calibration, Temperature
- Moisture redistribution in full-scale wood-frame wall assemblies: measurements and engineering approximation
- Moisture Performance of Energy-Efficient and Conventional Wood-Frame Wall Assemblies in a Mixed-Humid Climate
- Moisture meter calibrations for untreated and ACQ-treated southern yellow pine lumber and plywood
XML: View XML