Skip to Main Content
Methods for estimating private forest ownership statistics: revised methods for the USDA Forest Service's National Woodland Owner SurveyAuthor(s): Brenton J. Dickinson; Brett J. Butler
Source: Journal of Forestry. 111(5): 319-325.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (266.0 KB)
DescriptionThe USDA Forest Service's National Woodland Owner Survey (NWOS) is conducted to better understand the attitudes and behaviors of private forest ownerships, which control more than half of US forestland. Inferences about the populations of interest should be based on theoretically sound estimation procedures. A recent review of the procedures disclosed an error in the application of estimation used in the NWOS. These issues are addressed and resolved in this article. The NWOS is administered to ownerships that contain a sample point determined to be forested and privately owned. The random selection of the sample points results in selection of ownerships with probability proportional to area of forestland owned. Inferences from survey results, including numbers of ownerships, area of forestland and associated variances, can be made using appropriate techniques, such as the Hansen-Hurwitz Estimator.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDickinson, Brenton J.; Butler, Brett J. 2013. Methods for estimating private forest ownership statistics: revised methods for the USDA Forest Service's National Woodland Owner Survey. Journal of Forestry. 111(5): 319-325.
Keywordsprivate forest owners, sampling design, probability proportional to size, Hansen-Hurwitz estimator, family forest owners
- Assessing forest ownership dynamics in the United States: Methods and challenges
- Family Forest Ownerships of the United States, 2013: Findings from the USDA Forest Service's National Woodland Owner Survey
- Family forest ownerships of the United States, 2018: results from the USDA Forest Service, National Woodland Owner Survey
XML: View XML