Skip to Main Content
Living with wildfire in Telluride Fire Protection District, ColoradoAuthor(s): James R. Meldrum; Lilia C. Falk; Jamie Gomez; Christopher M. Barth; Hannah Brenkert-Smith; Travis Warziniack; Patricia A. Champ
Source: Res. Note RMRS-RN-75. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 30 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionResidents in the wildland-urban interface can play an important role in reducing wildfires’ negative effects by performing wildfire risk mitigation on their properties. This report offers insight into the wildfire risk mitigation activities and related considerations such as attitudes, experiences, and concern about wildfire, for residents of the Telluride Fire Protection District of San Miguel County, Colorado. Data come from a social survey and parcel-level rapid wildfire risk assessments administered by the West Region Wildfire Council. Results are presented both in graphical form and as detailed summary statistics (in appendices). As we recognize that results from similar surveys and assessments in other communities might differ, these linked datasets contribute to a broader effort to understand decisions about wildfire risk mitigation on private property. Results can facilitate long-term monitoring, management, and educational practices concerning the mitigation of wildfire risk in wildland-urban interface communities.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMeldrum, James R.; Falk, Lilia C.; Gomez, Jamie; Barth, Christopher M.; Brenkert-Smith, Hannah; Warziniack, Travis; Champ, Patricia A. 2017. Living with wildfire in Telluride Fire Protection District, Colorado. Res. Note RMRS-RN-75. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 30 p.
Keywordswildland-urban interface, wildfire, community, Colorado, risk, wildfire research
- Living with wildfire in La Plata County, Colorado: 2015 data report
- Living with Wildfire in Montezuma County, Colorado: 2015 Data Report
- Living with wildfire in Archeluta County, Colorado: 2015 data report
XML: View XML