Skip to Main Content
Statistics and quality assurance for the Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis Program, 2016Author(s): Dale D. Gormanson; Scott A. Pugh; Charles J. Barnett; Patrick D. Miles; Randall S. Morin; Paul A. Sowers; Jim Westfall
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-166. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 23 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe U.S. Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program collects sample plot data on all forest ownerships across the United States. FIA's primary objective is to determine the extent, condition, volume, growth, and use of trees on the Nation's forest land through a comprehensive inventory and analysis of the Nation's forest resources. The FIA program strives for transparency by making the methods and results of the inventory and analysis available to the public. The standard for distributing FIA data is the FIADatabase (FIADB). FIADB data for individual states can be downloaded from the FIA DataMart at https://www.fia.fs.fed.us/tools-data/ as Microsoft Access© databases, which can be used to generate estimates of forest area, number of trees, volume, biomass, growth, removals, and mortality. This report complements the Northern Research Station's FIA 5-year state reports beginning with the 2014 inventory and includes detailed information on forest inventory methods, important resource statistics, quality of estimates, and key references.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGormanson, Dale D.; Pugh, Scott A.; Barnett, Charles J.; Miles, Patrick D.; Morin, Randall S.; Sowers, Paul A.; Westfall, James A. 2017. Statistics and quality assurance for the Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis Program, 2016. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-166. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 23 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-166.
Keywordsinventory, timberland, forest land, sampling error, sample design, volume, growth, mortality, removals
- Statistics and quality assurance for the Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis Program
- Forest inventory and analysis data for FVS modelers
- Methods and equations for estimating aboveground volume, biomass, and carbon for trees in the U.S. forest inventory, 2010
XML: View XML