Skip to Main Content
Fuzzy Decision Analysis for Integrated Environmental Vulnerability Assessment of the Mid-Atlantic RegionAuthor(s): Liem T. Tran; C. Gregory Knight; Robert V. O'Neill; Elizabeth R. Smith; Kurt H. Riitters; James D. Wickham
Source: Environmental Management Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 845- 859
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (472 KB)
DescriptionA fuzzy decision analysis method for integrating ecological indicators was developed. This was a combination of a fuzzy ranking method and the analytic hierarchy process (AHP). The method was capable of ranking ecosystems in terms of environmental conditions and suggesting cumulative impacts across a large region. Using data on land cover, population, roads, streams, air pollution, and topography of the Mid-Atlantic region, we were able to point out areas that were in relatively poor condition and/or vulnerable to future deterioration. The method offered an easy and comprehensive way to combine the strengths of fuzzy set theory and the AHP for ecological assessment. Furthermore, the suggested method can serve as a building block for the evaluation of environmental policies.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTran, Liem T.; Knight, C. Gregory; O''Neill, Robert V.; Smith, Elizabeth R.; Riitters, Kurt H.; Wickham, James D. 2002. Fuzzy Decision Analysis for Integrated Environmental Vulnerability Assessment of the Mid-Atlantic Region. Environmental Management Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 845- 859
- Developing Inventory and Monitoring Programs Based on Multiple Objectives
- Past developments and future directions for the AHP in natural resources
- Strategic and tactical planning for managing national park resources
XML: View XML