Assessing the gene content of the megagenome: sugar pine (Pinus lambertiana)Author(s): Daniel Gonzalez-Ibeas; Pedro J. Martinez-Garcia; Randi A. Famula; Annette Deflino-Mix; Kristian A. Stevens; Carol A. Loopstra; Charles H. Landley; David B. Neale; Jill L. Wegryzn
Source: G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics. 6(12): 3787-3802
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
Sugar pine (Pinus lambertiana Douglas) is within the subgenus Strobus with an estimated genome size of 31 Gbp. Transcriptomic resources are of particular interest in conifers due to the challenges presented in their megagenomes for gene identification. In this study, we present the first comprehensive survey of the P. lambertiana transcriptome through deep sequencing of a variety of tissue types to generate more than 2.5 billion short reads. Third generation, long reads generated through PacBio Iso-Seq have been included for the first time in conifers to combat the challenges associated with de novo transcriptome assembly. A technology comparisons of second and third generation transcriptome sequencing approaches in plant species. In addition, the transcriptome reference was essential for gene model identification and quality assessment in the parallel project responsible for sequencing and assembly of the entire genome. In this study, the transcriptome data were also used to address questions surrounding lineage-specific Dicer-like proteins in conifers. These proteins play a role in the control of transposable element proliferation and the related genome expansion in conifers.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGonzalez-Ibeas, Daniel; Martinez-Garcia, Pedro J.; Famula, Randi A.; Delfino-Mix, Annette; Stevens, Kristian A.; Loopstra, Carol A.; Langley, Charles H.; Neale, David B.; Wegrzyn, Jill L. 2016. Assessing the gene content of the megagenome: sugar pine (Pinus lambertiana). G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics. 6(12): 3787-3802.
Keywordsconfer, transcriptome, dicer, gymnosperm, DCL, RNA-Seq
- Sequence of the Sugar Pine Megagenome
- Comparative transcriptomics among four white pine species
- Sugar pine
XML: View XML