Skip to Main Content
Forests of South Dakota, 2016Author(s): Brian F. Walters
Source: Resource Update FS-110. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Resource Update (RU)
PDF: View PDF (533.0 KB)
DescriptionThis publication provides an overview of forest resources in South Dakota based on an inventory conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program at the Northern Research Station (NRS) in cooperation with the South Dakota Department of Agriculture, Resource Conservation and Forestry Division. Estimates are based on field data collected using the FIA annualized sample design and are updated yearly. For the 2016 inventory, estimates for current variables such as area, volume, and biomass are based on 8,275 plot samples collected from 2011-2016. Change variables, such as net growth, removals, and mortality are based on 8,260 samples collected in2006-2011and resampled in 2011-2016. See Bechtoldand Patterson (2005), O'Connell et al. (2014), and Gormanson et al. (2017) for definitions and technical details.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWalters, Brian F. 2017. Forests of South Dakota, 2016. Resource Update FS-110. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
XML: View XML