Skip to Main Content
How large is large? Identifying large corporate ownerships in FIA datasetsAuthor(s): Jesse Caputo; Brett Butler; Andy Hartsell
Source: forest ownership, industrial forestry, ownership size
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionForest ownership size is a continuous variable, albeit one with a distinctly nonnormal distribution. Although large corporate forest ownerships are expected to differ in terms of behavior and objectives from smaller corporate ownerships, there is no clear and unambiguous means of defined these two ownership groups. We examined the distribution of the ownership size variable and determined that approximately 11 percent of ownerships are statistical outliers in terms of total acreage owned. These ownerships differ significantly in terms of behavior (harvesting and tree planting) and objectives (timber) from smaller and mediumsized ownerships. Consequently, we suggest defining "large" corporate forest ownerships as those owning more than 45,000 acres of land, equivalent to the minimum acreage owned by statistical outliers in the ownership data.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCaputo, Jesse; Butler, Brett; Hartsell, Andy. 2017. How large is large? Identifying large corporate ownerships in FIA datasets. Res. Pap. NRS-29. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 6 p.
- Dynamics of Large Corporate Forestland Ownerships in the United States
- Changes in land use, forest ownership, parcel size, and fragmentation in forests of the U.S
- Map of forest ownership in the conterminous United States. [Scale 1:7,500,000].
XML: View XML