Skip to Main Content
Orthogonal model and experimental data for analyzing wood-fiber-based tri-axial ribbed structural panels in bendingAuthor(s): Jinghao Li; John F. Hunt; Shaoqin Gong; Zhiyong Cai
Source: European Journal of Wood and Wood Products
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThis paper presents an analysis of 3-dimensional engineered structural panels (3DESP) made from wood-fiber-based laminated paper composites. Since the existing models for calculating the mechanical behavior of core configurations within sandwich panels are very complex, a new simplified orthogonal model (SOM) using an equivalent element has been developed. This model considers both linear and nonlinear geometrical effects when used to analyze the mechanical properties of 3DESP by transforming repeated elements from a tri-axial ribbed core for bending. Two different conditions were studied in comparison with finite element method (FEM) and I-beam equation. The results showed the SOM was consistent with FEM and the experimental result and were more accurate than the I-beam equation. The SOM considering nonlinear geometric deformation needed more computational effort and was found to match well with a FEM model and had slightly better accuracy compared with the linear SOM. Compared with FEM, the parameters in the linear SOM were easier to modify for predicting point-by-point bending performance. However, while the FEM can provide advanced characteristics of the 3DESP such as strain distribution, the linear SOM provided acceptable deformation and is proposed for preliminary design with multiple parameters. FEM should be applied for advanced analyses.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Gong, Shaoqin; Cai, Zhiyong. 2017. Orthogonal model and experimental data for analyzing wood-fiber-based tri-axial ribbed structural panels in bending. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. 75(1): 5-15.
KeywordsEquivalent element, orthotropic, tri-axial ribbed core, laminated plate theory, FEA, 1- beam equation, preliminary design, simulation
- Bending analyses for 3D engineered structural panels made from laminated paper and carbon fabric
- Testing and evaluation of a slot and tab construction technique for light-weight wood-fiber-based structural panels under bending
- Fatigue behavior of wood-fiber-based tri-axial engineered sandwich composite panels (ESCP)
XML: View XML