Skip to Main Content
Simplified analytical model and balanced design approach for light-weight wood-based structural panel in bendingAuthor(s): Jinghao Li; John F. Hunt; Shaoqin Gong; Zhiyong Cai
Source: Composite Structures. 136: 16-24
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThis paper presents a simplified analytical model and balanced design approach for modeling lightweight wood-based structural panels in bending. Because many design parameters are required to input for the model of finite element analysis (FEA) during the preliminary design process and optimization, the equivalent method was developed to analyze the mechanical performance of panels based on experimental results. The bending deflection, normal strain and shear strain of the panels with various configurations were investigated using four point bending test. The results from the analytical model matched well with the experimental data, especially, the prediction for maximum deflection of the panels under failure load. The normal strain and shear strain calculated by the model also agreed with the experimental data. The failure criterion was determined by the failure modes using a 3-dimensional diagram with apparent normal and shear strain. For demonstration, panels 1 and 2 with a fixed core were modeled using the balanced design approach for optimal face thickness. The results showed that both the 3-dimensional diagram and analytical model provided similar thickness results, which were verified by the FEA for wood-based structural panels.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Gong, Shaoqin; Cai, Zhiyong. 2016. Simplified analytical model and balanced design approach for light-weight wood-based structural panel in bending. Composite Structures. 136: 16-24.
KeywordsAnalytical modeling, Failure criterion, Mechanical testing, Balanced design, Bending behavior, Tri-axial core
- Testing and evaluation of a slot and tab construction technique for light-weight wood-fiber-based structural panels under bending
- Bending analyses for 3D engineered structural panels made from laminated paper and carbon fabric
- Orthogonal model and experimental data for analyzing wood-fiber-based tri-axial ribbed structural panels in bending
XML: View XML