Skip to Main Content
Smoke management guide for prescribed and wildland fire: 2001 edition.Author(s): Colin C. Hardy; Roger D. Ottmar; Janice L Peterson; John E. Core; Paula Seamon
Source: PMS 420-2. NFES 1279. Boise, ID: National Wildfire Coodination Group. 226 p
Publication Series: Book
PDF: Download Publication (6.7 MB)
DescriptionThe National Wildfire Coordinating Group's (NWCG) Fire Use Working Team has assumed overall responsibility for sponsoring the development and production of this revised Smoke Management Guide for Prescribed and Wildland Fire (the "Guide"). The Mission Statement for the Fire Use Working Team includes the need to coordinate and advocate the use of fire to achieve management objectives, and to promote a greater understanding of the role of fire and its effects. The Fire Use Working Team recognizes that the ignition of wildland fuels by land managers, or the use of wildland fires ignited by natural causes to achieve specific management objectives is receiving continued emphasis from fire management specialists, land managers, environmental groups, politicians and the general public. Yet, at the same time that fire use programs are increasing, concerns are being expressed regarding associated "costs" such as smoke management problems. This revised Guide is the Fire Use Working Team's contribution to a better national understanding and application of smoke management.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHardy, Colin C.; Ottmar, Roger D.; Peterson, Janice L; Core, John E.; Seamon, Paula, eds. 2001. Smoke management guide for prescribed and wildland fire: 2001 edition. PMS 420-2. NFES 1279. Boise, ID: National Wildfire Coodination Group. 226 p
Keywordssmoke, prescribed fire, wildland fire
- Value and challenges of conducting rapid response research on wildland fires
- Incident Management Organization succession planning stakeholder feedback
- A Collaborative Approach to Community Wildfire Hazard Reduction
XML: View XML