Skip to Main Content
Stridulatory mechanisms and sound production in Conotrachelus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)Author(s): Lester P. Gibson
Source: Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 60(1): 43-54.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionThe elytral stridulitra and the plectra on the sixth abdominal tergite are described and illustrated for both sexes of Conotrachelus naso LeConte, C. posticatus Boheman, and C. carinifer Casey, as is the stridulitrum of the male C. nenuphar (Herbst); the female of C. nenuphar has no plecctrum. The stridulations are described and illustrated by audiospectrographs for the first 3 species. Demonstrable differences exist between the stridulations of these species, and between the sexes of each. Individual weevils are capable of several speeds and frequencies of stridulations. Sound production can be induced by agitation of the weevils, or by rough handling.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGibson, Lester P. 1967. Stridulatory mechanisms and sound production in Conotrachelus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 60(1): 43-54.
- External rostral characters for differentiation of sexes in the biological control agent Mecinus janthinus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)
- Laboratory evaluation of plant-derived antifeedants against the pine weevil Hylobius abietis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)
- The life history and immature stages of the weevil Anthonomus monostigma Champion (Coleoptera: Curculiondidae) on Miconia calvescens DC (Melastomataceae)
XML: View XML