Skip to Main Content
Distribution and oxidation state of copper in the cell walls of treated wood examined by synchrotron based XANES and XFMAuthor(s): Samuel L. Zelinka; Grant T. Kirker; Joseph E. Jakes; Leandro Passarini; Barry Lai
Source: Proceedings of CORROSION 2017. American Wood Protection Association: 172-178.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionRecently, synchrotron based X-ray fluorescence microscopy (XFM) and X-ray absorption near edge spectroscopy (XANES) were used to examine the metal fastener corrosion in copper-treated wood. XFM is able to map the copper concentration in the wood with a spatial resolution of 0.5 µm and is able to quantify the copper concentration to within 0.05 µg cm-3. XANES was used as a complimentary technique to differentiate between oxidation states of copper in the wood. While the primary goal of these measurements was to better understand the corrosion mechanisms, the measurements also give insights into the amount, distribution, and ionic states of copper in various wood preservatives. In this paper we show how synchrotron based XFM and XANES can be used to map out the concentration of copper within the cell walls along with the oxidation state, as a potential tool for better understanding treatment and fixation with copper based preservatives. Data are presented for alkaline copper quaternary (ACQ-D), chromated copper arsenate (CCA-C), copper azole (CA-C), and a micronized copper quaternary formulation (MCQ). The data suggest a large fraction of the copper is in a copper (I) oxidation state.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZelinka, Samuel L.; Kirker, Grant T.; Jakes, Joseph E.; Passarini, Leandro; Lai, Barryl. 2016. Distribution and oxidation state of copper in the cell walls of treated wood examined by synchrotron based XANES and XFM. In: Proceedings of CORROSION 2017. American Wood Protection Association: 172-178.
KeywordsCopper, Oxidation states, Micronized copper, Wood preservatives
- Copper distribution and oxidation states near corroded fasteners in treated wood
- Synchrotron based x-ray fluorescence microscopy confirms copper in the corrosion products of metals in contact with treated wood
- Corrosion of metals in treated wood examined by synchrotron based xanes and XFM
XML: View XML