Skip to Main Content
Hot spots of Phytophthora in commercial nurseriesAuthor(s): Corina Junker; Patrick Goff; Stefan Wagner; Sabine Werres
Source: Proceedings of the sudden oak death sixth science symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. GTR-PSW-255. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 45.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (144.0 KB)
DescriptionStudies have shown that nurseries are an important source for the spread of Phytophthora. Most surveys and studies focusing on the epidemiology of these pathogens in nurseries are based on sampling of symptomatic plants or on samples like water of different sources used for irrigation. There is little knowledge, however, on the survival and occurrence of Phytophthora in the different steps of commercial plant production. This information is necessary for the development of good management strategies for Phytophthora in nurseries. Therefore, within a 3-year project, detailed samples were taken at different stages of the propagation and cultivation of plants and on different sample materials like substrates, residues, wind-carried leaves, and water/sediment. The samples were taken in two nurseries between August 2011 and May 2014 every 2 months. The results will be presented. They should help nursery managers to get a better understanding on “survival places” of Phytophthora species in their nursery and to develop better sanitary procedures. Furthermore, the results could help improve sample design for surveys and monitoring.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJunker, Corina; Goff, Patrick; Wagner, Stefan; Werres, Sabine. 2017. Hot spots of Phytophthora in commercial nurseries. In: Frankel, Susan J.; Harrell, Katharine M., tech. coords. Proceedings of the sudden oak death sixth science symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. GTR-PSW-255. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 45.
- Detection of Phytophthora ramorum at retail nurseries in the southeastern United States
- Within-field spread of Phytophthora ramorum on rhododendron in nursery settings
- Canadian Phytophthora ramorum 2006 update
XML: View XML