Skip to Main Content
An assessment of the industrial markets for softwood clearwood lumber.Author(s): Ivan L. Eastin; Christine L. Lane; Roger D. Fight; Jamie Barbour
Source: Forest Products Journal: 48 (11/12): 48-54
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (279 KB)
DescriptionThe purpose of this project was to assess market opportunities for second growth clearwood lumber by identifying industry segments that currently utilize clearwood lumber and determining whether alternative markets will continue to exist for clearwood lumber produced from intensively managed forests in the Pacific Northwest. A survey of industrial lumber remanufacturers was conducted in 1995 to identify: 1) those industry segments that currently utilize clearwood lumber as a raw material input for their manufacturing process; and 2) those clearwood lumber attributes that are perceived to be important by managers within specific segments of the remanufacturing industry. Frequencies and mean responses were used to analyze the demographic information as well as the softwood lumber attribute ratings. A factor analysis was used to reduce the original 16 lumber attributes to 4 factors: timber quality, manufacturing properties, mechanical properties, and economic/price characteristics. A perceptual map of the survey results indicates that managers in the door and windows industries attached more importance to timber quality and manufacturing properties when purchasing softwood lumber than did managers in the other industry segments. Respondents in the wood remanufacturing industry appeared to value reliability of supply, price, and price stability over other softwood lumber attributes. This would seem to indicate that these manufacturers could not, or would not, continue to accept higher relative prices and rapid price fluctuations for clearwood softwood lumber.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEastin, Ivan L.; Lane, Christine L.; Fight, Roger D.; Barbour, Jamie. 1998. An assessment of the industrial markets for softwood clearwood lumber. Forest Products Journal: 48 (11/12): 48-54
- Possible Demands for Eastern Hardwoods Resulting from Harvest Restrictions in the Pacific
- Achievements in the utilzation of poplar wood : guideposts for the future : [abstract]
- Southeast Alaska economics: a resource-abundant region competing in a global marketplace.
XML: View XML