Skip to Main Content
National and community market contributions of WildernessAuthor(s): Evan Hjerpe; Tom Holmes; Eric White
Source: Society & Natural Resources.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (453.0 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Wilderness areas contribute to economic health of rural communities
DescriptionWilderness attracts tourists and generates visitor spending in proximate communities as people enjoy Wilderness for outdoor recreation. Wilderness also attracts amenity migrants and out-of-region investments into surrounding regional economies. To investigate the amount and types of employment and income generated by Wilderness visitation, we conducted an economic contribution analysis of aggregate national visitor expenditures. The U.S. Forest Service National Visitor Use and Monitoring (NVUM) economic spending profiles were used to construct types and amounts of Wilderness visitor spending and were applied to an estimated 9.9 million annual visitors across federal agencies. IMPLAN modeling software was used to estimate total effects and multipliers for output, employment, income, and value added. Results show that some $500 million is annually spent in communities adjacent to Wilderness, generating a direct effect of 5,700 jobs and a total output effect over $700 million across numerous industries ($2012 including indirect and induced effects).
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHjerpe, Evan; Holmes, Tom; White, Eric. 2017. National and community market contributions of wilderness. Society & Natural Resources. 30(3): 265-280. 16 p. DOI:10.1080/08941920.2016.1196280
KeywordsAmenity migration, economic contribution analysis, recreation, economics, wilderness
- Econonmic effects of river recreation on local economies
- Economic impacts of guided whitewater rafting: a study of five rivers
- Estimation of national forest visitor spending averages from National Visitor Use Monitoring: round 2
XML: View XML