Skip to Main Content
A Contribution to the Taxonomy of Rhizochaete (Polyporales, Basidiomycota)Author(s): Karen K. Nakasone; Kymberly R. Draeger; Beatriz Ortiz-Santana
Source: Cryptogamie, Mycologie
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (6.0 MB)
DescriptionRhizochaete is a small genus of crust fungi that is closely related to Phanerochaete. A new species Rhizochaete belizensis is described, and three new combinations are proposed. Morphological studies and molecular sequence data from two nuclear ribosomal DNA regions (ITS and LSU) support the recognition of R. belizensis which is closely related to R. radicata. Analyses of sequence data also support the transfer of Phanerochaete flava to Rhizochaete. Phanerochaete percitrina from Cameroon and Peniophora rhizomorpho-sulphurea from India are transferred to Rhizochaete based on morphological studies of type specimens. Phanerochaete rubescens from Taiwan is placed in synonymy under R. borneensis. In addition, Phanerochaete mauiensis is redescribed and illustrated. A key to 13 accepted species of Rhizochaete and three morphologically similar species is presented.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNakasone, Karen K.; Draeger, Kymberly R.; Ortiz-Santana, Beatriz. 2017. A Contribution to the Taxonomy of Rhizochaete (Polyporales, Basidiomycota). Cryptogamie, Mycologie. 38(1): 81-99. https://doi.org/10.7872/crym/v38.iss1.2017.81.
KeywordsType studies, crust fungi, phlebia clade, Phanerochaetaceae
- Rhizochaete, a new genus of phanerochaetoid fungi
- Cryptolepiota, a new sequestrate genus in the Agaricaceae with evidence for adaptive radiation in western North America
- Phylogenetic relationships of the genus Phanerochaete inferred from the internal transcribed spacer region
XML: View XML