Skip to Main Content
Phosphomolybdic acid and ferric iron as efficient electron mediators for coupling biomass pretreatment to produce bioethanol and electricity generation from wheat strawAuthor(s): Yi Ding; Bo Du; Xuebing Zhao; J.Y. Zhu; Dehua Liu
Source: Bioresource Technology. 228: 279-289
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (3.0 MB)
DescriptionPhosphomolybdic acid (PMo12) was used as an electron mediator and proton carrier to mediate biomass pretreatment for ethanol production and electricity generation from wheat straw. In the pretreatment, lignin was oxidized anaerobically by PMo12 with solubilization of a fraction of hemicelluloses, and the PMo12 was simultaneously reduced. In an external liquid flow cell, the reduced PMo12 was re-oxidized with generation of electricity. The effects of several factors on pretreatment were investigated for optimizing the conditions. Enzymatic conversion of cellulose and xylan were about 80% and 45%, respectively, after pretreatment of wheat straw with 0.25 M PMo12, at 95°C for 45 min. FeCl3 was found to be an effective liquid mediator to transfer electrons to air, the terminal electron acceptor. By investigating the effects of various operation parameters and cell structural factors, the highest output power density of about 11 mW/cm2 was obtained for discharging of the reduced PMo12.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDing, Yi; Du, Bo; Zhao, Xuebing; Zhu, J.Y.; Liu, Dehua. 2017. Phosphomolybdic acid and ferric iron as efficient electron mediators for coupling biomass pretreatment to produce bioethanol and electricity generation from wheat straw. Bioresource Technology. 228: 279-289.
KeywordsLignocellulosic biomass, Pretreatment, Enzymatic hydrolysis, Direct lignin-to-electricity conversion, Phosphomolybdic acid, Electron mediator
- Behavioural responses of wheat stem sawflies to wheat volatiles
- Cell-wall structural changes in wheat straw pretreated for bioethanol production
- Thermal transitions of the amorphous polymers in wheat straw
XML: View XML