Skip to Main Content
Environmental factors-ecological species group relationships in the Surash lowland-mountain forests in northern IranAuthor(s): Fatemeh Bazdid Vahdati; Shahryar Saeidi Mehrvarz; Daniel C. Dey; Alireza Naqinezhad
Source: Nordic Journal of Botany
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionIdentification of the primary factors that influence the ecological distribution of species groups is important to managers of lowland-mountain forests in northern Iran. The aim of this study was to identify main ecological species groups, describe the site conditions associated with these species groups and the relationships between environmental factors and the distribution of ecological species groups using multi-variate analysis (Detrended correspondence analysis (DCA) and Canonical correspondence analysis (CCA)). For this purpose, 50 relevés (400 m2 each) were sampled using the Braun- Blanquet method. Vegetation was classified into three ecological species groups using a modified two-way indicator species analysis (TWINSPAN). In each relevé, environmental factors (topographic and soil variables) were measured and analysed using one-way ANOVA and Pearson r statistics. Further, species diversity indices were determined for the identified ecological species groups. Our results show that the environmental factors, e.g. elevation, slope, slope aspect, soil texture, pH and organic matter, were the most important factors explaining the distribution of the three ecological species groups in the study area. The diversity of the ecological species groups decreased with elevation. The results provide an ecological basis for forest management and for developing strategies for forest conservation in the study area.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVahdati, Fatemeh Bazdid; Mehrvarz, Shahryar Saeidi; Dey, Daniel C.; Naqinezhad, Alireza. 2016. Environmental factors-ecological species group relationships in the Surash lowland-mountain forests in northern Iran. Nordic Journal of Botany. 35(2): 240-250. https://doi.org/10.1111/njb.01221.
- Ecological species group—Environmental factors relationships in unharvested beech forests in the north of Iran
- Ecological species groupEnvironmental factors relationships in unharvested beech forests in the north of Iran
- Influences of Elevation on Overstory Species Composition in an Old-Growth Bottomland Hardwood-Loblolly Pine Forest in Southern Arkansas
XML: View XML