Skip to Main Content
Activity of earthworm in Latosol under simulated acid rain stressAuthor(s): Jia-En Zhang; Jiayu Yu; Ying Ouyang
Source: Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (306.0 KB)
DescriptionAcid rain is still an issue of environmental concerns. This study investigated the impacts of simulated acid rain (SAR) upon earthworm activity from the Latosol (acidic red soil). Laboratory experiment was performed by leaching the soil columns grown with earthworms (Eisenia fetida) at the SAR pH levels ranged from 2.0 to 6.5 over a 34-day period. Results showed that earthworms tended to escape from the soil and eventually died for the SAR at pH = 2.0 as a result of acid toxicity. The catalase activity in the earthworms decreased with the SAR pH levels, whereas the superoxide dismutases activity in the earthworms showed a fluctuate pattern: decreasing from pH 6.5 to 5.0 and increasing from pH 5.0 to 4.0. Results implied that the growth of earthworms was retarded at the SAR pH B 3.0.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhang, Jia-En; Yu, Jiayu; Ouyang, Ying. 2015.Activity of earthworm in Latosol under simulated acid rain stress. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 94(1): 108-111. 4 p. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00128-014-1404-5.
KeywordsAcid rain, , Enzyme activity, , Earthworm, Latosol
- Impact of simulated acid rain on trace metals and aluminum leaching in latosol from Guangdong Province, China
- Effects of simulated acid rain on microbial characteristics in a lateritic red soil
- Responses of Earthworm to Aluminum Toxicity in Latosol
XML: View XML