Skip to Main Content
Continuous cover forestry as part of sustainable forest management in the Pacific Northwest, USAAuthor(s): Robert L. Deal
Source: Continuous Cover Forestry Group Newsletter. Spring-2017 10.1: 1-5
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionContinuous Cover forestry (CCF) is not a commonly recognized term in the USA, but the concept and objectives of CCF to “manage forests to provide structurally, visually and biologically diverse ecosystems and deliver multiple benefits to people” is an idea that resonates with both forest managers and the public in the USA. The concept of CCF (often referred to as adaptive management, forest restoration or sustainable forestry) is often applied on public lands in the USA in response to new regulations, for the restoration of forests degraded by insects or disease, to reduce the risk of wildfires, or to improve wildlife habitat and biodiversity while maintaining forest cover. In the Pacific Northwest region of the USA (PNW), strategies to increase stand diversity and enhance biodiversity are a common management objective but the incentives for implementing these management practices vary among landowners and between different ecoregions. For this article, I will summarize how forest management practices have shifted over the past 20 years in response to changing regulations and outline some of the important forestry issues and opportunities that I see in the next several years for forest management in the PNW.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDeal, Robert L. 2017. Continuous cover forestry as part of sustainable forest management in the Pacific Northwest, USA. Continuous Cover Forestry Group Newsletter. Spring-2017 10.1: 1-5
KeywordsContinuous cover forestry, sustainable forest management, ecosystem services, forest management
- Challenges of Avian Conservation on Non-Federal Forests in the Pacific Northwest
- A research framework for natural resource-based communities in the Pacific Northwest.
- Estimates of carbon stored in harvested wood products from United States Forest Service Pacific Northwest Region, 1909-2012
XML: View XML